For use in ophthalmology, the drug Irifrin is intended, which is used topically in the form of drops for the eyes. The drug dilates the pupil, improves the outflow of intraocular fluid and narrows the vessels of the conjunctival membrane. The medication is used for iridocyclitis, glaucoma-cyclical crises. Read the instructions for using Irifrin.
Eye drops Irifrin
According to the accepted medical classification, Irifrin for eyes refers to alpha-adrenergic agonists for topical use in ophthalmology. This is a mydriatic used to reduce the amount of iris released, with red eye syndrome, accommodation spasm. Its use requires some operations and the preparation period before surgical interventions.
The active substance of the composition is phenylephrine hydrochloride. During the use of the medication, the goal between the choroid and the sclera decreases. This leads to a stop of residual microdeformations and stretching of the sclera during the development of axial myopia due to relaxation of the ciliary body. This effect helps to cope with eye fatigue and farsightedness.
Composition and form of release
Two forms of drip are available. Their differences in composition and packaging:
Drops for eyes Irifrin
Clear light yellow liquid
Benzalkonium chloride, water, disodium edetate, sodium citrate dihydrate, hypromellose, citric acid, sodium metabisulfite, hydroxide, dihydrogen phosphate and sodium hydrogen phosphate, preservative
The same, but without a preservative
The concentration of phenylephrine hydrochloride, mg per ml
2.5 or 10
5 ml dark glass dropper bottle, one each in a pack with instructions for use
0.4 ml dropper bottles (disposable), 15 vials per pack
Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
The drug belongs to sympathomimetics, has a pronounced alpha-adrenergic activity. When used in usual doses, the medication does not stimulate the central nervous system. In local use, the drug dilates the pupil, improves the outflow of intraocular fluid and narrows the vessels of the conjunctiva. The active substance phenylephrine stimulates postsynaptic alpha-adrenergic receptors, weakly affects the beta-adrenergic receptors of the myocardium.
The medication is characterized by a vasoconstrictor effect, similar to norepinephrine (norepinephrine), does not affect the heart ionotropically and chronotropically. The vasopressor effect of the component is less pronounced than that of norepinephrine, but longer. Vasoconstriction begins after 0.5-1.5 minutes after instillation, lasts 2-6 hours. After this, phenylephrine contracts the dilator of the pupil and the smooth muscles of the conjunctival arterioles, causing the pupil to dilate.
After 10-60 minutes, mydriasis occurs, which persists for two hours with 2.5% drops and 3-7 hours at 10%. During mydriasis (dilated pupil), cycloplegia (paralysis of the ciliary muscle of the eye) does not occur. In local use, phenylephrine undergoes systemic absorption, is metabolized in the intestinal wall, and has low bioavailability.
Due to a significant reduction in the dilator of the pupil 3-45 minutes after instillation of the drug in the moisture of the anterior chamber of the eye, particles of pigment from the pigment sheet of the iris can be detected. Doctors differentiate this phenomenon with manifestations of anterior uveitis or the presence of blood cells in the moisture of the anterior chamber of the eye.
Indications for the use of eye drops Irifrin
According to the instructions for use, various factors become indications for the use of drops. Some of them:
- iridocyclitis, prevention of posterior synechia and reduction of the exudation of the iris;
- diagnostic expansion of the pupil with ophthalmoscopy, other diagnostic procedures for monitoring the posterior segment of the eye;
- conducting a provocative test in patients with a narrow angle of the anterior chamber of the eye with suspected angle-closure glaucoma;
- differential diagnosis of superficial and deep injection of the eyeball;
- for the expansion of the pupil during laser interventions on the fundus and vitreoretinal surgery;
- treatment of glaucoma-cyclical crises;
- accommodation spasm;
- treatment of red eye syndrome, hyperemia and irritation of the membranes of the eye;
- reduction of swelling of the mucous membrane of the nasopharynx, conjunctiva with colds and allergic diseases;
- increased blood pressure during collapse, the appearance of arterial hypotension.
Instructions for use Irifrin
To open the bottle of the drug, you need to cut off the upper part of the nose with scissors or poke a hole in it with a thick needle. The second option is preferable - due to the convenience of the dosage of the drip preparation. You need to bury the tool according to the instructions:
- remove the aluminum cap from the bottle, open the rubber stopper;
- remove the dropper nozzle from the sealed wrapper, put it on the bottle;
- raise your head up, look at the ceiling;
- gently pull the lower eyelid with your fingers so that a conjunctival sac forms between it and the eye;
- turn the bottle upside down, holding it with your fingers so that the tip is 2-4 cm above the surface;
- press fingers on the bottle, squeeze one drop;
- put the solution in both eyes;
- after getting the dose into the bag, squeeze your fingers on the inner corner for a few seconds to allow the solution to quickly absorb into the tissues and reduce the severity of the reflex desire to close the eyelid;
- after burying, lie or sit, you can’t read, watch TV, write and strain by any other actions;
- at the time of instillation, make sure that the tip of the dropper does not touch the mucous membrane - if this happens, the packaging will have to be discarded and a new one opened;
- the introduction of a solution in an amount of more than two drops at a time can lead to increased absorption of the drug into the bloodstream and the development of systemic side effects.
Immediately after instillation of the medication, the patient has an unpleasant sensation of discomfort, burning and baking. It passes quickly, the eyes become easier. After 15-20 minutes after using the medication, the pupil expands greatly, all objects become fuzzy, blurry, bright light is very annoying. This condition lasts several hours, so it is recommended to instill a solution at night. With hypertension after instillation, blood pressure may slightly increase.
During the entire period of use of the drug, it is recommended to wear only glasses; contact lenses should be discarded for a while. After completion of therapy, after 3-4 days you can return to the lenses. At the end of treatment with the drug for another 1-3 days, vision may remain blurred and blurred, but this effect quickly disappears. The use of the drug on an ongoing basis eliminates pain, pain, redness in the eyes, fatigue, does not allow visual acuity to decline in the evening. According to reviews, if vision is slightly below normal, the use of a medication can return it to the maximum.
How to drip Irifrin
For ophthalmoscopy, 2.5% eye drops are used. Installation is carried out once. One drop in each eye is enough to create mydriasis. The effect of the expansion of the pupil comes in 15-30 minutes and lasts 1-3 hours. To maintain mydriasis for a long time, you can re-instill the medication after an hour. For children older than 12 years and adults with insufficient dilatation of the pupil or in patients with severe pigmentation (rigidity) of the iris, a 10% solution is used for diagnostic mydriasis.
With iridocyclitis, a medication is prescribed to prevent the development and rupture of the posterior synechia, reduce exudation into the anterior chamber of the eye. The instillation of one drop 2-3 times / day is shown. To eliminate the spasm of accommodation, over the age of six years, a drop of a 2.5% solution at night is prescribed dropwise every day for a month. With persistent spasm, a 10% solution (for children over 12 years old) is used dropwise in each eye at night every day for a two-week course.
In glaucoma-cyclical crises, a 10% solution of 2-3 times / day is used to reduce intraocular pressure. Before preparing for surgery 30-60 minutes before surgery, instill 10% drops once. After opening the eyeball, repeated use of the drug is unacceptable. Similarly, you can not use a 10% drop for irrigation, impregnation of tampons during surgery and for subconjunctival administration. A single instillation of a 2.5% drug is used in cases:
- A provocation test in patients with a narrow profile of the anterior chamber angle if angle-closure glaucoma is suspected - if the difference between the intraocular pressure indicators before and after instillation is 3-5 mmHg, the test is positive.
- Differential diagnosis such as an eyeball injection - if five minutes after applying the solution, the vessels of the eyeball narrow, the injection is superficial. If redness persists, iridocyclitis, scleritis, and expansion of deeper vessels are suspected.
Disposable dropper bottles with Irifrin BK solution without preservatives are taken orally and topically. The drug can be administered subcutaneously or intramuscularly at a dosage of 2-5 mg, after - 1-10 mg. With slow jet intravenous administration, a single dose is 10-500 mg. Intravenous infusions have a rate of 180 mcg / min at the initial stage and 30-60 mcg / min at the last. A single dose for oral administration is 30 mg for adults (daily is 150 mg), no more than 10 mg at a time or 50 mg per day are administered subcutaneously or intramuscularly, 5 mg at a time and 25 mg per day intravenously.
In ophthalmology, the drug is recommended for treatment and prevention. Indications and dosage of drops:
- Prevention of accommodation spasm in schoolchildren with weak myopia (myopia) - drop by drop in each eye at night with a course that depends on the time of high eye loads.
- Prevention of a spasm of accommodation in schoolchildren with secondary myopia - drop by drop in the right and left three times / week before bedtime. The course can last a long time.
- Prevention of accommodation spasm in people of all ages with normal vision - drop by drop during the day at the time of intense eye strain. The course is not limited.
- Prevention of accommodation spasm in people of any age with farsightedness (hyperopia) - during a period of high loads, drop by bed before bedtime daily in combination with a 1% solution of cyclopentolate. Under normal loads, drops are applied at night 2-3 times / week in a monthly course.
- Treatment of false and true myopia (myopia) - apply drop by drop in the evening before bedtime 2-3 times a week, for a month.
From the instructions for use of Irifrin, you can find out the rules for taking the drug. This is stated in the special instructions section:
- the drug is prescribed with caution in diabetes mellitus, in old age - this is associated with a risk of impaired autonomic regulation and reactive myosis;
- doctor control is required when combining the drug with monoamine oxidase inhibitors and within three weeks after stopping their use;
- excess doses in patients with retinal injuries, ophthalmic diseases, after surgery or with reduced tear production can increase the absorption of phenylephrine and increase the development of systemic side effects;
- the medication causes conjunctival hypoxia, therefore it is used with caution with sickle cell anemia, wearing contact lenses and after surgery (reduces healing);
- phenylephrine is absorbed through the mucous membrane, therefore, it can cause systemic effects;
- at the time of the use of the drug, you should abandon driving vehicles and controlling mechanisms.
According to the instructions for use, the use of the drug during pregnancy and breastfeeding is possible after a thorough study by the doctor of the individual characteristics of the patient. If the potential benefit to the mother outweighs the potential risk to the fetus or child, the medication can be used, but under the strict supervision of a doctor.
Irifrin for children
Irifrin 10% eye drops are contraindicated for use by ore children and adolescents under the age of 12 years. 2.5% solution is not used in children under six years of age. Preschoolers or schoolchildren can receive the drug for the treatment of myopia or hyperopia, as a prevention of deterioration in visual acuity, fatigue at high and medium loads.
Therapy of myopia or hyperopia lasts a month, is repeated 1-2 times / year. Drops are applied one at a time every night or two in each eye every other day to night. It is allowed to combine taking the medication with Taufon or Emoxipin. Regular use of the drug supports visual acuity and prevents it from falling. If the child is faced with severe eye fatigue, redness, then the drops are applied one at a time during the month. Upon its completion, it is possible to stop the pathological process of visual impairment, to postpone the start of wearing glasses.
Using Irifrin, you should remember about the possible combination of the drug with other drugs. Combinations and effects:
- atropine enhances the mydriatic effect of phenylephrine, but leads to the development of tachycardia;
- tricyclic antidepressants, propranolol, methyldopa, reserpine, anticholinergics and guanethidine can potentiate the vasopressor effect of adrenergic agonists;
- beta-adrenergic blocking leads to acute arterial hypertension;
- phenylephrine potentiates the inhibitory effect of inhalation anesthesia on the activity of the cardiovascular system;
- sympathomimetics enhance the cardiovascular effects of irifrin.
Against the background of the use of drops of Irifrin, side effects may develop. Common include:
- conjunctivitis, periorbital edema, burning;
- blurred vision, irritation of the mucosa, discomfort;
- lacrimation, increased intraocular pressure, reactive miosis;
- heart palpitations, arrhythmia, bradycardia, dermatitis, pulmonary embolism;
- rarely - myocardial infarction, vascular collapse, intracranial hemorrhage.
Symptoms of an overdose of the drug are increased side effects - manifestations of the systemic effects of phenylephrine. To eliminate them, it is urgently necessary to discontinue therapy with the drug, intravenously administer alpha-blockers (for example, 5-10 mg of phentolamine). If necessary, drug administration is repeated until the signs are completely stopped.
The drug-stimulator of the disccomodative muscles of the ciliary body is prescribed with caution during pregnancy and lactation. Contraindications for taking medication are:
- closed or narrow-angle glaucoma;
- advanced age and disorders of cerebral blood flow, cardiovascular system;
- violation of the integrity of the eyeball;
- arterial aneurysm, hyperthyroidism;
- violation of tear production, hepatic porphyria;
- congenital glucose phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency;
- children's age up to 6 years for 2.5% drops and up to 12 years for 10% of the drug;
- hypersensitivity to components;
- severe course of atherosclerosis or its cerebral form;
- prolonged bronchial asthma;
- tendency to spasms of coronary vessels;
- arterial hypertension.
Terms of sale and storage
You can buy Irifrin with a prescription. The drug is stored at temperatures up to 25 degrees, it can not be frozen. After opening the bottle can be used for a month, Irifrin BK is intended for single use.
Irifrin substitutes are divided into synonyms (have the same active substance and effect) and indirect analogues (another active component, but a similar therapeutic effect). The following medicines in the form of drops and solutions are referred to the drug analogues:
- Neosinephrine-PIC - have the same active substance;
- Visofrin - a solution containing phenylephrine;
- Mesaton - according to reviews, causes severe irritation;
- Allergofthal - a vasoconstrictor drug to eliminate redness;
- Vizin is an analog of Irifrin, a medication relieves eye fatigue.
You can buy the solution through pharmacies or online sites at a cost that depends on the concentration of the drug and the level of the trade margin. Approximate prices for the drug and its analogues:
The name of the drug
Internet price, in rubles
Pharmacy price tag, in rubles
Irifrin BK 2.5% 15 vials of 0.4 ml
Irifrin 2.5% 5 ml
Vizin 15 ml
Allergofthal 6 ml
Elizabeth, 38 years old. When my child went to school, he began to complain of fatigue, redness of proteins. In order to prevent a decrease in visual acuity, the doctor prescribed us drops of Irifrin BK. I liked that they are disposable - I dropped it and threw away the packaging. After a month's course, vision was restored and again became equal to unity. An excellent drug, I recommend to mothers of schoolchildren.
Alexander, 45 years old At work, I constantly type on the computer, get tired of tension, the clarity and vigilance of my eyesight decreases. The ophthalmologist advised me to periodically use Irifrin, but only at night - during the day it causes discomfort from too much dilated pupil. I tried and appreciated - my vision improved, the veil and redness of the iris disappeared.
Galina, 56 years old I was suspected of angle-closure glaucoma, so they conducted a special test. I remember that they were dripped with Irifrin solution, the field of which the pupil expanded greatly, and then they conducted the necessary studies. The diagnosis was not confirmed, which I am glad. The drops were remembered to me as a remedy with a little discomfort - I then had a headache for a long time.
Yuri, 37 years old I had an operation on my eyes, I was very afraid, but it turned out that in vain. Before surgery, Irifrin BK was instilled into the eyes. As the surgeon told me, this is necessary to expand the pupil and the accuracy of manipulations. In addition, give me anesthesia. The operation was successful, the head ached a little, but there were no serious consequences.Attention! The information presented in the article is for guidance only. Materials of the article do not call for independent treatment. Only a qualified doctor can make a diagnosis and give recommendations for treatment based on the individual characteristics of a particular patient.